Linear orienteering...

Linear orienteering course  

RSS

erportoles
(@erportoles)
New Member Customer
03/05/2018 9:43 am  

Hi,

In our club have been using iorienteering for some time and implemented permanent orineteering courses in our city. Since iorienteering is going to be discontinued, I amtriying to migrate to sporteering.

I want to ask if is possible to set up a linear orienteering course, where the picking order of the controls is forced ( CP2 follows CP1 and so on)

Thank you,

JM Porto

Club ADCON Castellón-o

Roger
(@user)
Moderator Admin
03/05/2018 1:10 pm  

Hi JM

Currently we only have the order the controls appear in the "Controls List".  When you transfer them across to Sporteering enter them in the correct order or change the "Order" field to the order you want them.

After the Event the downloaded results will give the order they were run in so you can DQ or DNC anyone not taking the correct route.

We will be adding a selection box in the Planning Portal; "Score" or "Linear" and this will force the competitor to run in order.

We would appreciate feed back on how this should work;  e.g. what happens if a competitor misses a control, should they be unable to score the next one until they have scored the missed one or should they be able to continue and their run is marked as DNC (Did not complete)?

Any feed back appreciated

Roger

System Architect

ReplyQuote
haywoodkb
(@haywoodkb)
08/05/2018 12:29 pm  

Hi Roger,
In the iOrienteering app, if you mispunched, the game was over. Instead, the runner should be able to locate the correct control point, and continue the course. If the runner finds #5 before locating #4, he should be warned that he has missed a control. He may continue finding #6 #7 #8, but the mispunch flag should still be shown. If the runner goes back to #4 location, the mispunch indicator can be removed, and the course continued. The player would need to locate #5 again after punching #4, then continue to #6 #7 and #8. This allows the runner to correct a mistake and still complete the course.
Thanks
Kevin

ReplyQuote
Roger
(@user)
Moderator Admin
14/05/2018 6:16 pm  

Hi Kevin - thanks for your explanation.  Sounds like a good method that we should adopt.  I'll fire it over to the team and get their thoughts.  Then we can look at adding it to the system.

Roger

System Architect

ReplyQuote
Bozzy
(@bozzy)
19/05/2018 9:19 am  

I also am keen to be able to have Linear events like we currently do in iOrienteering. For a small area or a school, Linear Orienteering enables us to get better use of the area.

I also supports Kevin's summary of how it should work.

One thing extra would be to allow for a control to be used more than once in the course. iOrienteering does not currently allow this as I learnt the hard way.  I had a pivot control that participants had to visit 4 times.  The only solution was to have 4 QR code checkpoints at the same location!

Thanks

Rolf 

ReplyQuote
Roger
(@user)
Moderator Admin
10/07/2018 12:15 pm  

Hi - With regard to using a control in several courses;  an new feature just added means you can now "CLONE" a control between events and keep all its attributes so one control can serve several events.

System Architect

ReplyQuote
Share: